[BRLTTY] Typing all characters Focus 40

Frans-Willem Post fwpost at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 15:27:10 EDT 2017

Hello all,

Thanks to Samuel on this list, I have at least learned of the cause of
this problem, and a possible workaround. I will quote the relevant
portions from his off-list advice.

 > Can ë be typed directly on your keyboard, or do you need e.g. to
press a dead-diaeresis, then e? That's a current shortcoming of
keysimulation that they simulate only one keypress (possibly with
modifiers).

It was indeed a dead-key combo, but that was not the problem. It was not
listed in the X-keymap shown by 'xmodmap -pke'.

 > But perhaps it's [not] available as direct key? xmodmap -pke would tell

This was indeed the case. In my X-environment, I can not type the
characters not listed in the keymap, but on a real TTY-console, I can.

Thank you for helping me understand,

Frans-Willem Post
The Netherlands