[BRLTTY] BrlAPI Raw key code mode?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Aug 28 15:31:29 EDT 2017

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2017/08/28 at 19:52 +0200]

>> - add brlapi_getKeys(void) which returns the set of keys known to be
>>   available on the model.  I however don't think the brltty core knows
>>   that yet?  I'm also not sure how useful it is to applications.
>
>Since we have key name tables, at least as far as I know, we tend to
>know the set of possible keys per model.  I am not sure if this is true
>for all drivers, but it should be for most.

Any driver that's using key tables exports a list of the key names.

>However, this sounds like a rather huge diff, actually.  So, what do
>people actually familiar with the details think about the idea?

Yes, it'd be huge and error prone. That's why I'm pushing for defining
additional core commands and binding them within the current key tables using a
new, persistent context. The work for this would be small:

* Core: Define the new key table context.
* Core: Define the new commands.
* BrlAPI: Implement a way to request commands via a specific context.

That's it. Then each graphical screen reader just needs to request that the new
commands be delivered to it, and implement them. This approach is extremely
simple, not error prone, and will work.

In my earlier message on this topic I suggested that we should review the
bindable actions that all known graphical screen readers currently offer. I'll
be glad to do that review since, unless I'm mistaken, I have a fairly good
"eye" for how to generalize things. I'd appreciate it, though, if others would
make those lists and send them to me.

I wonder just who said such a rude thing! :-)

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | The Bible is the very Word of God.