[BRLTTY] Braille displays vs. USB-to-serial adapters

Mike Gorse mgorse at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Feb 7 17:18:35 EST 2017

Hi all,

This came up on the list a while ago. Brltty drivers now check the USB
manufacturer for devices with generic products/ids. I see that Debian has
this patch applied.

We have a bug in openSUSE which I think is similar to the Debian issue
that this was fixing, where USB-to-serial adapters are read as Braille
displays, and I'm trying to figure out how best to fix it.

I'm wondering if applying the patch from upstream would be enough to keep
brltty from doing this. I'm guessing not, since it appears that Hims and
HandyTech displays have their manufacturer set to "FTDI", which I'd think
would make them indistinguishable from standalone USB-to-serial adapters,
but debian still has a udev rule that starts brltty if one of these
devices with "FTDI" as its manufacturer is connected, so I'm wondering if
I'm missing something, and I don't have any hardware to test with.

Thanks,
-Mike