[BRLTTY] Brltty woes on Centos 7

Keith Wessel keith at wessel.com
Tue Feb 28 09:26:03 EST 2017

Hi, all,

Very long-time brltty user. No idea why I didn't subscribe to the mailing
list long ago to keep up on the news and talk.

I recently moved my work computer from RHEL 5 to Centos 7. Forgive me if
this line of questioning has already been covered; I checked the archives
and didn't see anything to help me.

While the version of brltty that Centos provides works, it lacks a couple
things. First, I can't, for anything, get any sound out of it for alert
tunes. After looking at its dependencies, I noticed it didn't have alsa libs
listed. Could it be that the Centos-distributed version (brltty-4.5-13.el7)
doesn't have any sound support other than the beeper device?

So, I tried the brltty-5.4 RPM available for download from brltty.com. I
really wanted to move to Brltty V5, anyway. I run it at home on a Gentoo
system, and I like a number of the changes including the new button mappings
for my PowerBraille 80. Sadly, it's looking for, among other things, libicu
4.9. Centos 7 comes with 5.0. Sigh.

Next stop, the source RPM. Try to build my own. I attempt to add the many
dependencies required to build the RPM: 23 that I didn't yet have. However,
one can't be met: gcc-java. It's not available in RHEL and Centos 7 that I
can see.

Can anyone point me to a binary RPM of Brltty for Centos 7 that has ALSA
support for PCM alert tunes? Or perhaps the Centos one does and I'm just not
configuring something right? I tried many times this week to make it work.
Alternatively, can anyone make suggestions for building the srpm? What
changes might I need to make to the configure command-line to not need
gcc-java, and would might I lose if I left that out? Would that hurt any of
the Gnome/Orca brlapi integration?

My audio never worked right on RHEL 5, so this was never a big deal. But the
audio is definitely working for other applications on Centos 7, and I'd like
to have the same luxuries that I have with my Gentoo box at home.

Thanks,

Keith