[BRLTTY] autospeak=yes and using BRLTTY without braille display

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jan 18 11:15:17 EST 2017

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2017/01/18 at 16:59 +0100]

>I am wondering why autospeak is not set to yes/true, as soon as speech is
>enabled?

No setting is automatically changed for any reason.

>This is something I find quite problematic, especially when using computers
>with a braille display I don't know. In such cases it's hard to open the
>preferences menu and having speech would e.g. speed up reading the keyboard
>table of the display.

I understand the problem, but I don't think forcing autospeak on if a speech
driver has been selected is a good thing to do. Many users want speech on
demand and wouldn't appreciate it being imposed on them.

I'm open to suggestions, though. I'm not a speech user so it's entirely
possible that my understanding of all of the issues isn't very good.  Perhaps
others can comment on this issue as well.

>When I start my computer without a braille display, I find that BRLTTY is very
>unresponsive and does sometimes delay actions or doubles typed letters. This
>does not happen when I start BRLTTY explicitly with `-b no` or with a braille
>display is attached. I suppose this has to do with BRLTTY searching for a
>display.

Yes, that's what it seems like. An additional test would be to try using -b to
specify the specific driver but not have the braille device connected. I
suspect that'd be a lot better because brltty is then only trying one driver
instead of trying to autodetect all of them.