[BRLTTY] autospeak=yes and using BRLTTY without braille display

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Jan 18 13:22:26 EST 2017

[quoted lines by Nicolas Pitre on 2017/01/18 at 11:53 -0500]

>If speech is enabled then I think it makes sense for autospeak to be
>active by default, especially if there is no braille display.

If the braille device isn't connected then autospeak should already be enabled
by default. This, of course, can't be detected if the connection is via a
serial port. To keep autospeak off when there's no braille device you need to
specify -Q (upperase) or --quiet-if-no-braille.

Are you saying that you believe the default for autospeak - assuming that it
hasn't been explicitly set yet - should be on?

>Another solution that would avoid any semantic issues is the ability to
>override default/saved preference menu options from the command line.
>Something like:
>
>	brltty -o autospeak=yes -o autospeak-completed-words=no ...
>
>The same keywords as found in the brltty.prefs file could be used.

That's actually a very cool idea! I like it.

>This is still a reliability issue. Having doubles typed letters means
>BRLTTY is delaying the forwarding of key release events and that's bad.
>The keyboard filtering should probably be relegated to a thread of its
>own to avoid this problem.

Yes, this can be done. I thought that the problem had been resolved after
having moved speech and alert tunes to their own threads.