[BRLTTY] [5.5] Make messages disappear after key press

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jun 6 07:43:20 EDT 2017

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2017/06/06 at 12:19 +0200]

>when BRLTTY starts or when the command for displaying the time is invoked, a
>non-screen message is displayed on the braille display. When pressing a key,
>e.g. to navigate in an application, this mesage stays for the defined time and
>does not disappear.

This was an intentional change in 5.5 to deal with long messages that may take
a while to read in detail. The way it works is that navigating backward (e.g.
pan left) causes the message to stay. It disappears as soon as you navigate
forward (e.g. pan right) on its last (or only) segment. I'm assuming,
therefore, that you're panning to the left when the message stays. It'd be
dismissed immediately, just like before 5.5, if you pan to the right.

>I think that the behaviour before BRLTTY 5.5 was to let the message disappear,
>as soon as an action happened. Could that be introduced again?

Is it okay now that you know that panning to the right does dismiss it
immediately? If that's still not okay then I suppose that it could be made
optional.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | The Bible is the very Word of God.