[BRLTTY] Brltty woes on Centos 7

Keith Wessel keith at wessel.com
Wed Mar 1 15:41:43 EST 2017

Hi, Dave,

Sorry, I would have gone into detail about the spec file before, but since
the recommendation was to build from the tar, I wasn't sure if anyone cared.
I shouldn't have assumed that.

I had to disable the java bindings in the configure line as you instructed.
I had to add a: Provides: config(brltty) line because rpm complained when I
didn't that config(brltty) = 5.4.1 couldn't be satisfied. I also had to
change all references to brlapi-python to instead be to python-brlapi to
make dependencies happy for Orca. While I was at it, I did the same for
brlapi-ocaml and brlapi-tcl just for the heck of it. I'm happy to send along
an updated spec file if you like.

There is a system file in the RPM, but so far, it's not working for me. Mind
you, neither is my own. Brltty starts then stops; journalctl is reporting
some garbage chars from the braille display communications. I'm suspecting
the communications channel is out of syn for some reason. Still tinkering. I
don't have this problem at home, but I also don't have the same system
hardware at home. Same braille display model, but everything in the computer
is different. The one at home doesn't even have on-board serial ports; I'm
using a SIIG Cyberserial PCI add-on card. Ah, good ol' RS-232 fun.

I'll follow up when I get to the bottom of this.

Keith