[BRLTTY] braille star 40

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Mar 30 05:01:25 EDT 2017

Felix Grützmacher - Handy Tech Elektronik GmbH
<felix.gruetzmacher at handytech.de> writes:

> this might just be me stating the really obvious and making a fool of
> myself, but since the FTDI chip emulates a serial connection through USB and
> the FTDI driver takes care of that, wouldn't it make sense for the device to
> appear as serial rather than USB?

>From the point of view of BRLTTY, an operating system provided serial
port is a nice fallback, but not the default.  BRLTTY actually natively
talks to the various USB chips without needing the OS to provide a
serial port.  However, that said, I am suspecting there might be
problems with this on Mac.  Anyway, as long as Cheryl refuses to look at
the logs, there is no way to know exactly.

> At least on Windows when I connect this kind of device I get a COM
> port, and my Braille driver doesn't see this as USB at all.

Yes, this is how it also was on Linux many years ago.  However, we
didn't want to rely on the kernel supporting a particular chip.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Blog: <https://blind.guru/>  GitHub: <https://github.com/mlang/>