[BRLTTY] Packaging questions

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Wed Oct 25 15:32:11 EDT 2017

Hello,

Le 25/10/2017 à 20:20, Peter Vágner a écrit :
>> 2) In the installer the package is stripped down this way:
>> ./configure \
>>   --prefix=/usr \
>>   --bindir=/bin \
>>   --sbindir=/sbin \
>>   --libdir=/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
>>   --infodir=/usr/info \
>>   --mandir=/usr/man \
>>   --sysconfdir=/etc \
>>   --localstatedir=/var \
>>   --build=$ARCH-slint-linux \
>>   --disable-contracted-braille \
>>
> Are you sure you would like to disable contracted braille? I think people
> reading and writing english, german, french braille and other braille codes
> where there is contracting support tend to prefer contracted braille over
> uncontracted braille.

OK I will enable it, thanks for the heads-up.

>>   --disable-speech-support \
>>   --disable-icu \

> This is related to localization am I right? I guess you are targetting at
> least two localizations english and french, perhaps you also need to
> reconsider this.
Yes icu stands for Internationaml Component(s for Unicode, vf.
http://site.icu-project.org/

I don't know how brltty uses that, but Philippe Delavalade uses the
installer in French (LANG set to fr_FR.utf8) with his braille device
so not having that ins the installer doesn't seem to hurt.
>>   --disable-x \
>>   --disable-gpm \
>>
> In arch this is explicitly enabled. It has something to do with the mouse
> as I have understood. Perhaps it's usefull for copying and pasting on text
> console or perhaps scrolling. I am not sure however since it's enabled in
> arch and in debian I guess it's usefull.

We don't run gpm in the installer.

>>   --disable-api \
>>
> What API does this disable? I guess not brlapi as I have seen your earlier
> discussion with Dave and Samuel where you have understood you do need to
> include brlapi for allowing orca communicating to brltty.
We don't use Orca during installation that is done in text mode.

Instead we user the speakup driver, espeak, and espeakup that links them.

>>   --disable-ocaml-bindings \
>>   --disable-java-bindings \
>>   --disable-lisp-bindings \
>>
> You might need this for speechd-el braille support

Yes, but not in the installer as we don't use orca.
We would need that if we would ship speechd-el but I had no request
so far to use emacs during installation ;)

>>   --disable-python-bindings \
>>
> You need this for orca...
> Or err.. I see you are building brlapi seperatelly am I correct?

We don't ship orca in the installer, that's why we don't need the
python bindings in this context. But in the full featured brltty
that you use in the installed system this binding is included, as
yoo can see in the LOG attached to my previous post. I know other
distributions ship brlapi separately and I took me some time to
realize that it was included in the source archive...

>>   --disable-tcl-bindings \
>>   --disable-polkit \
>>   --with-pcm-package=no \
>>   --with-midi-package=no \
>>   --with-fm-package=no \
>>   --with-curses=ncurses \
>>   --with-bluetooth-package=no
>>
>> As you see we don't include the bindings, all stuff needed for speech
>> support (as we use speakup instead), polkit (we are root during
>> installation), etc.
>>
> Polkit is not for installation as I am understanding it.>

Right. And not needed for root.

> Polkit is for
> authorizing brlapi clients such as orca using python-brlapi or speechd-el
> using brlapi lisp bindings to talk to brltty built-in brlapi server. This
> is not the only supported auth method and for all slint desktops except of
> mate and kde this is not needed as I think these lightweight desktop
> environments don't use polkit either.

Intrinsically the light WM do not need polkit, however we use it in all
cases, e.g. to allow a regular user to halt or reboot the machine from
the graphical environment, using either lxlogout or wm-logout.

> I will hopefully understand this
> better once my question related to brlapi client config is cleared up.

I have no doubt about that.

>> You can use the tty device like in this example:
>> brltty -b tt -d /dev/tty12 and you will get the output on /dev/tty12
>> Thanks again Samuel for the tip!
>>
>> Yeah, awesome I will play with this tonight.
>

>> PS I will upload a Slint64-14.2.1RC2 ISO real soon now, then wait a few
>> days for comments. Peter, I will be especially eager to hear from you ;)
>>
> Yes, I will check it out as I have never experiences attempt at
> accessibility enabled kde. And perhaps I'll be able to check the others in
> the process.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Greetings,

Didier