[BRLTTY] README.Mac

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Sat Sep 2 10:54:39 EDT 2017

Right, as long as what you have will work with brltty you don't need the source. I was not aware of 4.0.3; I have used 4.0.1 and 4.2.1 but if in fact 4.0.3 also works that is fine.

Let's say you are using 4.0.3 and decide to test 4.2.1; you have the symlink connected to the one you usually use but you try the other one. Both are installed and you know which one you are using by default.

On Sep 2, 2017, at 2:07 AM, Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> wrote:

[quoted lines by John Covici on 2017/09/02 at 02:17 -0400]

> hmmm, this is screen-4.0.3 and had no vrsion number, so why would I
> need to do an ln?

Using the version extension and a symbolic link isn't necessary, but it is
helpful. What it helps with is making it clear exactly which version of screen
you're running. You invoke the command without the version extension, and that
finds the symlink. It then points to an executable that's named after the
version. That way, purely for administrative purposes, you know what you're
running. It also allows you to install different (in this case) screen versions
and easily switch between them. So it isn't magic - it's just good system
administration.

> Best would be to have the source and the patch.

Not if what you already have works.

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | The Bible is the very Word of God.