[BRLTTY] how to use brltty on mac

Cheryl Homiak cah4110 at icloud.com
Sat Sep 2 21:34:23 EDT 2017

Have you got brltty running yet at all - with usb or usb-serial? If not, I would concentrate on this first. I have in the past used bluetooth with my Braille Edge but haven't for a while and couldn't this evening. Something in bluetooth on the Mac may have been changed since I ran brltty with it last or I may be overlooking something; the Braille Edge does pair with the Mac using voiceover and also connects.

There's a Bluetooth.Readme in Documents in the brltty source but the Mac info isn't there so it probably will go into the Mac readme when completed.

If your braille device is supported by Apple, the place to pair it is not in System Preferences > Bluetooth but in Voiceover Utility > braille. If your braille device is not supported by Apple, then I think you would pair it in System Preferences > Bluetooth.

In order to use the braille display with bluetooth once it is paired, you need to either specify this on the command line or in the brltty.conf file. The braille-device directive in the brltty.conf shows a bluetooth line that you would use. For my braille edge I have it as follows:
braille-device bluetooth:00:12:34:56:78:6C (this is just a made-up address). but again I wouldn't spend time working on this until you have it working with a physical connection.