[BRLTTY] 5.6

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Apr 3 14:30:39 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Brian Tew on 2018/04/03 at 12:10 -0500]

>/usr/lib/systemd/system does not exist. /usr/lib/systemd does exist, but theres no system directory in it.

That's okay. Each distribution does things its own way. Since I can't look
directly at yours, the best I can do is make suggestions. We'll just need to
figure out where it really is.

>locate brltty.service done as root gives four listings;
>/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/brltty.service
>/lib/systemd/system/brltty.service
>/var/lib/systemd/deb-systemd-helper-enabled/brltty.service.dsh-also
>/var/lib/systemd/deb-systemd-helper-enabled/sysinit.target.wants/brltty.service

It's the one in /lib/. Many distributions make /lib/ and /usr/lib/ be the same.
I guess that isn't the case on yours.

>but even though the locate command shows them root cannot see three  of them.
>When root tries to edit those files it says no such file or directory.

Please don't try to edit any files other than the one you really should be
editing. Doing so could cause unwanted corruption.

>Only the second one can be found by root.
>/lib/systemd/system/brltty.service

Yes, that's the right one.

>that file is below. the execstart line is not so simple.
>ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "grep -sq '^ *RUN_BRLTTY=no' /etc/default/brltty || exec /sbin/brltty -P /run/brltty.pid"

There are two extra pieces which you can ignore (i.e. just leave them as they
are).

The first part (to the left of the ||) is checking to see if RUN_BRLTTY=no is
specified within /etc/default/brltty. I guess that's the Ubuntu way to disable
brltty.

The third part (the -P option) is to get brltty to use the correct PID file.
That bit mustn't be changed.

The second part (exec /sbin/brltty) is what you're looking for. Change it to
point to the desired place. Then remember to do systemctl daemon-reload and
then to disconnect/reconnect your device.

Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |