[BRLTTY] Speech Dictionaries

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Thu Apr 19 15:52:30 EDT 2018

Hi

Dave Mielke schrieb am 15.04.2018,  6:30 -0400:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2018/04/04 at 11:48 +0200]
>
>>As a regular speech user, I would like to request a speech replacement
>>dictionary, which would allow the user to replace certain words by a corrected
>>form, before the text is sent to the speech synthesis.
>
>I'm not a speech user so I hope you won't mind teaching me a bit. Is a
>dictionary normally the job of the screen reader or of the speech synthesizer?
That does depend. As John pointed out, it might be the job of the synthesizer,,
but this depends on what should replaced. Mispronounced words should definitely
be fixed in the synthesizer.
However, there might be cases where I would like an altered representation of
what is on the screen, because it could be more convenient or shorter. For this,
I would argue that it's the screen readers job to offer this capability. Imagine
I'm redefining ":=" as "defined as", so that "R := 0" becomes
"R is defined as 0". Sorry, I can't think of a more useful example.

>If the screen reader does it then how can one be sure that every speech
>synthesizer will end up actually using the desired pronunciation?
I wouldn't want to use it so much for pronunciation, because, again, this should
be fixed in the synthesizer. If this one is proprietary, the BRLTTY speech
dictionary would be a work-around, though.

>>I would be fine with a simple text replacement, but other screen readers also
>>offer regular expression.
>
>What are the matching rules? For example, which match wins (the first one in
>the text, the first one in the dictionary, the longest one, etc)?
Just define something :). I would have expected the one parsed last should be
taken. This usually happens in configurations when specifiing options multiple
times.

>Perhaps you could provide a reasonably complex example to illustrate the best
>way to do it.

IMHO = in my humble opinion
:\= = defined as
error\[[0-9]+\] = error

I'm also fine with a different format, "=" might not be the best separator.

Thanks
Sebastian
--
Web: https://www.crustulus.de (English|Deutsch)  | Blog: https://www.crustulus.de/blog