[BRLTTY] Fedora dracut module

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Jul 6 18:01:18 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Lars Bjørndal on 2018/07/06 at 17:00 +0200]

>I've installed it. I ran dracut -f to update the initramfs. The first
>time I booted the machine, I got a message: No input key table. The
>next time, nothing happened on the braille display.

Yes, that's actually what I'd expect as I think he said he used the original
version, i.e. didn't include my subsequent changes, for the F27 rpm. The
original version didn't install the key tables.

A bit of history: When dracut suppport was initially envisioned, I knew
absolutely nothing about dracut, very little about the initramfs environment,
etc. Jaroslav, and a clearly very capable intern of his named Tomas, very
kindly wrote quite a good initial version, but, of course, not being brltty
users, they wouldn't have known the things that are hidden beneath the surface.
Their initial version was, however, so good that I was able to very quickly
understand how it all worked and add what was missing. And, of course, let's
not forget that I was able to actually test the code with a real braille
display.

So, yes, one of the initially missing bits was braille deivce key tables.

Now we might wonder why he didn't just include the latest code in the F27 rpm.
I think I may know the answer. I wrote a new command, brltty-lsinc, to support
one of the capabilities that was needed. This command is only in the
development stream - it'll be in 5.7. In other words, the brltty-lsinc command
doesn't exist in the version of brltty used in F27. I myself might argue that
they should just include the latest brltty code in F27, but that may be a risk
they wouldn't want to take and may even violate their package update policies.

>Should dracut detect the current configuration of BRLTTY, or do I need
>to specify parameters manually?

You can check .../brltty/Initramfs/Dracut/README in the latest brltty source
tree for how it all works. The answer to your immediate question is that,
without extra options, it picks up whatever is configured via brltty.conf.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |