[BRLTTY] Compiling BRLTTY for Android on Windows

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Thu Mar 8 13:30:26 EST 2018

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018, Robert Pösel wrote:

> Dne 08.03.2018 v 16:50 Dave Mielke napsal(a):
> > Simply changing brltty to build with cmake would be a bad idea because
> > that's a
> > Windows-specific tool. We need to build brltty on others platforms, not the
> > laast of which is Linux., and I don't really want to have more than one way
> > do it.
> Well, I understand CMake as a multiplatform tool, definitely not a
> Windows-specific tool. On CMake about page (https://cmake.org/overview/) they
> say:
> /
> "CMake is an extensible, open-source system that manages the build process in
> an operating system and in a compiler-independent manner. Unlike many
> cross-platform systems, CMake is designed to be used in conjunction with the
> native build environment. Simple configuration files placed in each source
> directory (called CMakeLists.txt files) are used to generate standard build
> files (e.g., makefiles on Unix and projects/workspaces in Windows MSVC) which
> are used in the usual way. (...)"
> /
> I saw various multiplatform projects using CMake and also on their website
> they mention projects like MySQL or KDE are using it too. Since it's so
> popular and makes building multiplatform projects much easier, I ////wanted to
> know whether you thought about it. I understand that when something works it's
> better to keep it that way and don't change things without proper reason.

For CMake to be considered, it would need someone who is familiar enough
with it to do the whole conversion and show that the build for current
targets such as native Linux still work. In other words, if you're
sufficiently enthusiastic about CMake, then the best way to win people
over is to do the ground work yourself and contribute it back. So far no
existing BRLTTY developers had the inclination to do that, having
contributed quite a lot in other areas already.

Nicolas