[BRLTTY] BrlTty, NVDA, & BrailleNote Touch

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri May 18 18:27:53 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Jackie McBride on 2018/05/18 at 15:03 -0700]

>So might I ask--what does that really do, as it appears the device had
>actually been discovered. Or am I misinterpreting the log?

No, you aren't missing anything in the log. You just lack a bit of knowledge
about how Bluetooth works. I'd say that'd be a rather common weakness that most
people suffer from. :-)

The BrailleNote Touch, just like lots of other braille devices, implements
Bluetooth communication by emulating a serial port. Emulating a serial port
over Bluetooth uses a protocol called RFCOMM, which, for the purposes of
simplistic explanation, is kind of analogous to the TCP/IP protocol on a
network. It supports several services (which Bluetooth calls profiles) running
simultaneously, with each one using a different RFCOMM channel. Again, for the
purposes of a simplistic explanation, you can think of RFCOMM channels as being
kind of like TCP/IP ports.

So, yes, the device was detected. The problem was determining which RFCOMM
channel to use. Some braille devices (mostly the older ones) always use the
same channel, so brltty drivers have the capability to define which channel to
use. Other braile devices (most of the newer ones) use a channel that's
dynamically assigned when their Bluetooth interface is started. For those, it's
necessary for the host to ask the device which channel to use for its Serial
Port Profile. this is done via Bluetooth's Service Discovery Profile, so brltty
drivers also have the capability to request that service discovery be
performed.

The bug was that the HumanWare braille driver wasn't requesting that service
discovery be performed. This has been fixed within the development code. The
discovery=yes device parameter is the way to manually request service
discovery.

>BTW. I'm just curious, you understand.

Of course! Curiosity like yours is encouraged on this list.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |