[BRLTTY] locktones

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue May 22 19:09:39 EDT 2018

I think I've been hanging onto a "secret" and it's long overdue time to tell
people about it. Maybe I did, but I don't think so.

Way back when I started using Linux - so somewhere in the mid '90s - I was
frustrated by not knowing the state of the caps lock key. That inspired me to
write a tool named locktones. It uses tones to announce the states of the caps
lock, scroll lock, and num lock keys.

It can run in the foreground or in the background. A different tone can be
defined for each lock. There are two modes:

In "active" mode the tone for a lock stays on while the lock is active. If more
than one lock is ative then all the relevant tones are played cyclically.

In "toggle" mode an ascending sequence of tones is played (once) when a lock is
activated, and a descending sequence of tones is played (once) when a lock is
deactivated.

I recently added this tool to github. For anyone who'd like to experiment with
it, it's at:

   http://github.com/brltty/locktones

If you do give it a try, please, as always, let me know what problems you
encounter with it as well as how it could be improved.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |