[BRLTTY] BRLTTY for Android - Unable to enter device pin using BRLTTY Input Service

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Sep 24 04:02:36 EDT 2018

[quoted lines by Siena Trigiani on 2018/09/23 at 14:51 -0400]

>Good afternoon everyone, I hope you are all having a great weekend!

That all depends on what You consider a great weekend. :-)

Here, in Ottawa,,we were struck by an extremely rare event for this area - a
thing they call twin tornados. That means a supercell (a rotating updraft
during a thunder storm) spawning two tornados, rather than just one, that go
off in different directions. They estimated wind speeds around 200KMPH. One of
the tornados did a nasty job to a small town (Dunrobin) and a neighbourhood
(Mont Bleu) within a city (Gâtineau). The other one created a major mess out of
our electrical power grid and destoryed a major power distribution transformer.
We ourselves were without electricty from late Friday afternoon until 01:30
this (Monday) morning. All day Saturday there were very few stores (none local
to us) open from which to get food. The very few that were open had long lines
and were running low on decent supplies.

I'm not comlaining - just recounting - we survived. I figured some might find
it interesting. Anyway, that was our great weekend. :-)

>On both my Android phone and my tablet, I have set a device pin that I have
>to enter in order to unlock the device. When I reboot the device, and BRLTTY
>turns on, I am able to click on the Unlock button, after which I'm taken to
>the screen where I enter my device pin code. I am able to enter the code by
>navigating to each digit and clicking on each digit with the 2nd cursor
>routing button on my display. However when I try to type in the pin code
>using my Braille keyboard and the BRLTTY Input Service, the code won't
>register. On the other hand, with a physical qwerty keyboard,  I am able to
>enter the pin and unlock the devices no problem. I'm curious as to whether
>there's something I need to do on my end in order to be able to enter my pin
>using my Braille keyboard? If not, is this something that could be
>implimented in a future release of BRLTTY?

I'll have a look at it. My initial guess is that, due to a significant security
enhancement in Android 6, brltty's input service may be unable to start until
after the first unlock.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |