[BRLTTY] Contracted emojis?

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Thu Sep 27 14:11:30 EDT 2018

Hi.

With the upcoming full unicode console support, I am wondering if we
want to handle emojis in contracted braille mode?

The english case could be autogenerated from the unicode names I guess.
But for other languages, we'd need a list of translations.
Given that, brltty should probably autogenerate the contracted
description inline, if a certain flag is set.

For instance, \U1F5EA (🗪) is named "TWO SPEECH BUBBLES".
A german translation of that might be "zwei Sprechblasen" which could
be auto"contracted" to "⠵⠺⠩⠀⠂⠮⠃⠇⠁⠎⠉" while de-kurzschrift is active.

Writing out all of these in special cti files seems very tedious and
error prone.

What do others thing?  There is a 4 digit figure amount of characters
that more or less fall into the category of symbols with elaborate
descriptions.  Some are emojis, but some are a bit more broad, like
objects in general.  It would be nice to have inline descriptions
for these available, and contracted braille mode is the right
vehicle for that.  But defining all of them by hand seems like a bad idea.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕