[BRLTTY] keycode brlapi no names

Quartel, Eric de edequartel at bartimeus.nl
Wed Dec 4 02:23:29 EST 2019

Hello there,
I run brltty on a raspberrypi raspbian version Buster.
This has mawk version:
mawk 1.3.3 Nov 1996, Copyright (C) Michael D. Brennan
An old version but it does not come with a newer one.

When i have the apiclient running with the following code:
/* get the keycodes*/
size_t len;
brlapi_param_keyCode_t *keys=brlapi_getParameterAlloc(BRLAPI_PARAM_DEVICE_KEY_CODES,0,1,&len);
len/=sizeof(*keys);
for (int j=0; j<len;j++){
  char *name=brlapi_getParameterAlloc(BRLAPI_PARAM_KEY_SHORT_NAME,keys[j],1,NULL);
  fprintf(stderr, "Key: %x Name: %s\n",keys[j],name);
  free(name);
  }
free(keys);
I get this output with no names, have also tried a freedom scientific, all with same results:
Driver name: Voyager
Braille display has 1 line of 44 columns
Trying to enter in raw mode... brlapi_enterRawMode: Operation not supported
Taking control of the tty... Ok
Writing to braille display... Ok
Key: 1ff Name: (null)
Key: 0 Name: (null)
Key: 1 Name: (null)
Key: 2 Name: (null)
Key: 3 Name: (null)
Key: 4 Name: (null)
Key: 5 Name: (null)
Key: 6 Name: (null)
Key: 7 Name: (null)
Key: 8 Name: (null)
Key: 9 Name: (null)
Key: a Name: (null)
Key: b Name: (null)
Key: c Name: (null)
Key: d Name: (null)
Key: e Name: (null)
Key: f Name: (null)
Waiting until a braille key is pressed to continue... got it! (code=20000017)
type 536870912, command 23, argument 0, flags 0
type CMD, command FWINLT, argument 0, flags
Leaving tty... Ok
For more details and source i include the apiclient.c and brltty.conf
Thanks for your support, Eric