[BRLTTY] Braille Display Support

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Thu Dec 12 14:45:05 EST 2019

Hello,

Justin Cunningham (2019/12/12 19:37 +0000):
> Hi,
>
> I am developing a braille display ‘prototype’ for my country’s top
> science exhibition and chose the theme of accessibility.

That's very nice! Which country are you from?

> On the Brltty website it says that co-operation between the team and
> the programmer are needed to provide support. If I may ask: what must
> I provide? I presume it would be a protocol and how I activate braille
> pins?

Yes, that and if your braille display has keys, which it most likely
wnat to have, the way the key presses and releases will be transmitted
needs to be known.

One possibility would be for your prototype to implement an existing
protocol. That way it would be supported out of the box but I don't know
whether that's allowed or not.

Best wishes and please keep us posted about your progresses or the
questions you may have. Designing a braille display is a very
interesting topic and I think it's harder than it may seem to design an
ergonomic and pleasant to use one.

All the best,

Shérab.