[BRLTTY] Update on QWERTY Keyboard

Rob captinlogic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 16:00:26 EST 2019

Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> wrote:
> The alt key capitalizing letters is a HIMS qwerty thing that, really, has
> nothing to do with brltty. The HIMS qwerty keyboard sends braille characters
> (dot combinations), and the alt key adds dot 7.

Ah, that makes sense. So, in essence, there's nothing really we can do to make it work.
It seems kind of a shame, because you have to lift your hands off the display to do things. But, I guess, braille displays were not initially designed for such efficiency. The protocols therefore do not allow for such key codes to be sent, because, hey, it's a braille device and thus should send braille dots. That makes sense from a design standpoint, but kind of not fun from a user standpoint.