[BRLTTY] Strange things with lynx and brltty

Tom Masterson kd7cyu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 14:21:13 EST 2019

I am currently using ubuntu 18.04, blrtty 5.5, and lynx 2.8.9dev.16 all of whcich are stanard with this verwion of Ubuntu.  I spend most of my time working at a console (in this case tty3-5).  I have noticed that if I am running lynx in one console and switch to another console when I return to lynx it has been shutdown.  I have also noticed that if I use the routing keys on my braille display (an ultravario 40) to try to move to a spot in an edit field in lynx it will shutdown lynx.  Brltty is being loaded in initramfs on my system.  I have been able to verify that something is sending lynx a nohup type signal or it is trying to read from the console and timing out and shutting down when I am away from lynx. None of these things happen if I run lynx under screen.

I have not been able to find a way to disable brltty to verify if it happens when brltty is not present.  Could brltty be causing this issue? Is there a way to shut down brltty and not have it restart when I switch consoles (as it does now)?

Thanks
Tom