[BRLTTY] ‘empty console’

Nicolas Pitre nico at fluxnic.net
Tue Nov 26 16:44:42 EST 2019

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019, Sebastian Humenda wrote:
> Nicolas Pitre schrieb am Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 02:09:52PM -0500:
> > On Sun, 17 Nov 2019, Sebastian Humenda wrote:
> > > I have now had a chance to find out more about the issue. I can reproduce this
> > > both on a Debian 10 with Linux 4.19, or 5.2, as well as on an Ubuntu with
> > > Linux 5.3.
> > > As a temporary work-around, I have set the console font from „fixed” to
> > > terminus in the largest font. I wonder how this might affect /dev/vcsu.
> >
> > Are you saying that this workaround "solved" the issue?
>
> Yes, it does.

I'm baffled.

What does "stty -a" give you, with and without the font change? More
specifically, what are the reported rows and columns values on the first
output line?

> > What if you add the following to your brltty.conf instead:
> >
> > screen-parameters lx:unicode=no
>
> Then I get "no screen" on my display.

This is even stranger.  Do you have both the /dev/vcsa and /dev/vcsu
devices present on your system when that happens?

> > What messages related to "Console" or "framebuffer" or "fb0" do you get
> > from the dmesg command after boot?
>
> I've attached the output below. Hopefully this is helpful at all, it was a bit
> tedious to grep for three different terms :).

You may do:

$ dmesg | grep -i "console\|framebuffer\|fb0"

Otherwise I see nothing obviously wrong with your output.

Nicolas