[BRLTTY] What is the best way to deal with Unicode characters?

Shérab Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Fri Oct 4 08:39:44 EDT 2019

Dave Mielke (2019/09/28 15:45 -0400):
> [quoted lines by Shérab on 2019/09/28 at 18:46 +0200]
>
> >Wouldn't one other possibility be to use the Unicode description of the
> >character? I am thinking for instance about smileys here. What od you
> >think?
>
> That could indeed be an extra step. The current order within the latest
> development code is:
>
> 1) contraction table lookup
> 2) directly interpret if it's a Unicode braille pattern
> 3) text table lookup if one is active (last step if so)
> 4) use the Unicode replacement character if it's defined
> 5) use dots 12345678
>
> Adding the (new) cldr directive to a contraction table (which has already been
> done for most of them) will interpret a lot of the emoji characters, but that
> also does require that you've installed the cldr annotations package.

Yeah,, and that a contraction table is actually being used, which is not
the case for me for instance.

> We could
> additionaly do an ICU lookup for a character's description, but you can also
> get that with brltty's Describe Character function.

Sure. Just that if, say, there are several such characters in a message,
which unfortunately seems to happen more and more, it may become tedious
to have to describe every single character and it may be nice to have a
way to have the descriptions directly available inline but that's
certainly not a very high priority for me, so no pressure of course,
just discussing here.

Shérab.