[BRLTTY] Windows First Run

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Fri Oct 25 15:13:47 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Oriana Neulinger on 2019/10/25 at 14:24 -0400]

>I had her run the 'debug app' as administrator, and got an log.

Okay, good. I was assuming that she already was. I'll continue to look into how
to script the elevating of privileges in a way that works well when using a
console.

>The configuration we did last time was to set the port to COM3 and set the
>manufacturer to Alva, so why is it still scanning all of the USB options?

Her log says:

   2019-10-25 at 11:01:16.259 checking braille device: USB:

The braille device, therefore, is clearly set to USB:. How did you set the
configuration? If you ran brltty's .exe installer and used its configurator
then we'll need someone else's advice since I've never used it and have no easy
way to do so. If you did then, again, maybe not being administrator was getting
in the way.

Check for the file brltty.conf (which I think should be within brltty's etc\
folder). Look for the braille-device line. If there's more than one then it's
the last one that matters. If the Alva is on COM3 then it should say:

   braille-device serial:COM3

Also check for the braille-driver line. It should say:

   braille-driver al

In both cases, if the line is missing or commented out then add/uncomment it.

>I'll make some suggestions for the documentation on a new email.

Thanks.

>For one, the documentation suggests that the folder, or at least the
>executable, was supposed to have been added to %PATH% this whole time haha

:-) As is the case with a lot of documentation, there's usually too much to
absorb all at once. That's why my personal opinion is that those who rudely
order others to go away and just read the manual are, for whatever reason,
lacking empathy.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |