[BRLTTY] xbrlapi crashes X session

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 09:50:59 EDT 2019

;    I just received a Brailliant 14 on a permanent loan basis from my
local library for blind readers. I have successfully connected it via
bluetooth to brltty and have it working for the most part with Orca. But
I'm having a problem using its braille keyboard to type in my MATE
desktop session. I am running

xbrlapi -q

from my run window, and for a short time, it works, but after that time,
my whole desktop crashes, and I get the message "screen not in text
mode". I have to restart my display manager in order to get my desktop
back, and I see a coredump in my logs, although brltty is still running,
as I do get braille output, and can even type on the Brailliant keyboard
on the virtual text console where I logged in to read my system log. The
xbrlapi crash seems to occur most when I press dot7 alone, which is used
as a backspace key on the Brailliant. However, I seem to be able to
reproduce the crash most reliably by pressing dot7+space. I did try this
3 times and was able to crash my desktop session 100% by pressing this
key combination. On the other hand, dot7 + any braille key other than
space or standalone, i.e. using dot7 as part of a character or an
uppercase letter, never seems to cause the crash to occur.

My system is an Odroid XU4, 8-core ARMv7 processor, 4 A15 cores and 4 A7
cores, running ArchLinuxARM with brltty 6.0. I have the latest MATE 1.22
desktop running Orca 3.34.0. My braille device is the Brailliant 14,
updated to the latest 1.5.54 firmware downloaded from Humanware's
website, although the crash was also occurring using the 1.5.21 firmware
that was on the device when I received it. Thanks for any help
troubleshooting and/or fixing this issue.

Imetumwa kutoka mbongo wangu