[BRLTTY] What is the best way to deal with Unicode characters?

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Mon Sep 23 06:26:31 EDT 2019

Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> writes:
 > [quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2019/09/21 at 10:23 +0300]
 > >So my contraction table needs to hold an entry for every character that is
 > >defined. Then if I occasionally need to use a system where multi-cell
 > >representation is not desired (e.g. when reading columnated text or tables), I
 > >need to use my old text table for that. This means that I would need to
 > >maintain two translation tables.

 > Maybe not. What if there were a mode for contraction tables that used the
 > current text table as a fallback. In other words, if a character isn't defined
 > within the contraction table then look it up within the text table.

Isn't this the default behaviour already? Because when I enable "Contracted
braille mode", all characters not defined in the contraction table are still
looked up from my text table. just with dots 7 and 8 masked out.

But yes, a mode where a contraction table can be used without stripping out
any dots from would be absolutely great! Could the "Use contraction table" and
"Mask out dots 7 and 8" -modes be completely separate and independent of each
other? I know there is probably some historical reason why it is done the way
it is, but to me it would feel most logical if 6-dots was not related to
contraction.

--
Aura