[BRLTTY] What is the best way to deal with Unicode characters?

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Mon Sep 23 13:25:02 EDT 2019

Dave Mielke <Dave at mielke.cc> writes:
 > [quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2019/09/23 at 13:26 +0300]
 > I just made the change to do a text table lookup instead, and neitehr dot 7 or
 > 8 are msked out. I think, therefore, that that does what you're looking for.

Sounds like it, thank you!

 > That leaves us with a decision. We have three choices:

Well, I am not the right person to comment anything on contraction, because we
don't use contracted braille in FInland, and I cannot read it or understand its
concepts. I just would like to have multi-column representations for some
Unicode characters. But I guess that it is always better to have a character
looked up from the text table, if it is defined there, than to use a
replacement character. But maybe this causes problems to someone who's using
contracted braille "as it is inteded to be used." I don't know.

 > >Because when I enable "Contracted braille mode", all characters not defined in
 > >the contraction table are still looked up from my text table. just with dots 7
 > >and 8 masked out.

 > Odd. Neither the code itself nor my test did that. There's a special condition
 > within the code that does, but I didn't try to figure out what it is. In any
 > case, simply falling back to the text table does retain dots 7 and 8.

Well, maybe this is just my misconception then. I have a hard time
understanding anything while a contraction table is active.

 > It isn't. Dots 7 and 8 are masked out in the special case that six-dot mode is
 > enabled and a contraction table isn't being used. The historical reason is that
 > we didn't want to try to search for a new binding on every single model.

Oh, the 'Text Style' options is nowadays a tristate! Could it be so that if
'Text Style' is set to 'Contracted Braille', the low dots are not stripped
even if contraction table is not defined?

--
Aura