[BRLTTY] Contraction table fallback.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Sep 24 11:15:34 EDT 2019

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2019/09/24 at 11:38 +0300]

>I'm very busy with my studies right now, but I try to do this ASAP.

I'll appreciate it. No sense in getting it wrong so I'd like to be sure that
it's right. You should be able to specify your current text table, as well as a
contraction table that just contains your special characters. And, of course,
six-dot mode would need to be anabled (or set Text Style to Contracted
Braille).

> > Sebastien: Developers can define the replacement character, like this:
> >    always \uFFFD 12345678 # or whatever
> > If the replacement character is defined then it'll use that ratehr than do a
> > text table lookup.
>
>But what about all sorts of applications which use the FFFD character to
>signal something (generally an Unicode errors). How can I define a braille
>glyph for this character then?

I wasn't aware that applications did that. Maybe, then, we should just do the
text table lookup. Contraction table developers could now test with an empty
fallback text table.

>Also regarding the option of enabling contraction tables without enabling
>six-dot mode at the same time, I would not overload the 'Text Style' option
>with that.

As I said, that was intentional due to the difficulty of needing to find an
additional binding on all models.

>Contracted braille is probably something that people want to easily turn on
>and off, and they want to have a simple binding for that (like the current
>SIXDOTS).

Yes, but they also want a quick way to turn six-dot mode on'off. I agree that
they're two separate functions, but finding a new binding for every single
model so that both are available isn't easy.

We could make one a long press of the other, but even that isn't a general
solution because not all braille device protocols allow for long press
bindings.

>If finding a new key binding for all supported devices is too much of a work,
>I would leave this as is.

I personally think it is, especially since we don't have a lab containing an
instance of each individual model for thorough testing of changes.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |