[BRLTTY] What is the best way to deal with Unicode characters?

S. Massy smassy at wolfdream.ca
Sat Sep 28 16:21:14 EDT 2019

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 04:06:04PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> [quoted lines by S. Massy on 2019/09/28 at 15:53 -0400]
>
> An interesting idea, except that the vendor count is decreaisng and the venture
> capitalists are taking over. :-( Also, really modern displays have started
> reverting back to six dots per cell. Some even have no routing keys.
Really? Do you have an example of such a model and is there at least
some commensurate savings on the price of the device?

I've long thought that 8-dog computer braille should make its way to
paper braille as it greatly increases the symbolspace and thus decreases
the need for prefix notation. Obviously, nobody agrees with me, though,
as my son is being taught to exclusively use UEB braille on his display
which makes no use of dots 7-8 except for denoting cursor position and
highlighting.

I don't ever see myself giving up 8-dot computer braille.

Cheers,
S.M.
--
Sebastien Massy