[BRLTTY] Space, Enter, Backspace not usable as modifiers

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Fri Apr 10 03:24:24 EDT 2020

Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater at gmail.com> writes:

> but this evening, I came to the Pi and found that many settings had
> been set in strange ways; I have no idea how. For example, typing was
> turned off, and screen cursor was set to not be shown, and to blink.
>
> I fixed a lot of those, and restarted the Pi, but found that when I
> hold Space and press P, for example, it just writes “p”. When I press
> Enter, it makes whatever dot 8 would be in computer braille. It is the
> same with Backspace. So, I can’t enter the preferences menu. I’ve
> tried deleting the /etc/brltty.conf file, but that didn’t fix it, so I
> touched a new one and hope I didn’t break things further.

The preferences are not saved in /etc/brltty.conf.
They usually reside in /var/lib/brltty/brltty.prefs.

Also, as a tip for the future: When you delete config files to see if
things improve, it is a bit safer to just move the file away.
Linux even has a place for that, /var/backups.
I typically do something like

# mv foo.extension /var/backups

instead of

# rm foo.extension

since it is pretty easy to rollback if you didn't delete the file.

> Also, the “brltest” command doesn’t seem to be on my system.

This binary is usually not installed, since it is more of a developer
tool.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕