[BRLTTY] BRLTTY, systemd and unprivileged user

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Aug 23 11:44:39 EDT 2020

[quoted lines by Aura Kelloniemi on 2020/08/23 at 15:22 +0300]

> > Some hacker will figure it out! :-) Anyway, it looks good.
>
>I call them crackers. I leave figuring out this detail as an exercise for the
>reader.

Sadly, that's a term I wouldn't use anymore as it's become what one might call
a reverse racism slur (at least in North America). In other words, it's an
extremely derogatory term that black people use to refer to white people. Odd
how being a racist seems to only be officially ascribed in one direction.

>Yes, this is the case. I suppose, the fiddling with the capabilities somehow
>causes the root account not to be root anymore.

Is this still happening when manually starting brltty as root? In that case,
there wouldn't be any capability fiddling going on. Or maybe you've assigned
capabilities to brltty's executable?

>As far as I understand, root (in Linux, nowadays) is a predefined set of
>capabilities. Could it be that when BRLTTY adds capabilities, it (implicitly)
>at the same time drops the normal root capabilities, and then it does not
>matter any more that the process has uid 0.

That shouldn't be happening the way brltty is doing it. This one is a mystery
for now.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |