[BRLTTY] Preferences Menu Questions

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Thu Jan 2 04:22:48 EST 2020

wmichaelb at fuse.net writes:

> 1.) I could not find a preferences file, so he hit Bar1+Bar2 and the
> preferences menu appeared. He selected "Save on exit", and then hit
> Bar1+Bar2 again. The cursor then generated a long series of letter Y's.
> We rebooted, but now Bar1+Bar2 no longer pulls up the preferences
> menu.

This sounds like a hardware issue.  The PowerBraille is likely around 20
years old.  When I was using a PowerBraille 81, it sometimes had issues
with keys getting stuck, especially the long keys above the display.
Can you make sure that this doesn't happen?

> 2.) Is there a way to build the SETLEFT command into the preferences
> file
> so that the next line of text always starts at the left?

This is supposed to happen anyway.  Which commands/keys does he use to
scroll the display?  And which screen reader is he using?
BRLTTY on the console, or Orca?
Basically, if he uses horizontal navigation the display will wrap around
at the end of the line and go to the beginning of the next line.
However, if he uses vertical navigation, the display will go to the next
line but stay at the same vertical position.

I also suggest reading the help file, so that you are familiar with the
commands available: http://brltty.app/doc/KeyBindings/brl-ts-pb80.html

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕