[BRLTTY] Newbie curious about Inceptor braille display driver.

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jan 6 12:49:18 EST 2020

[quoted lines by tony seth on 2020/01/06 at 09:15 -0800]

>I'll make the attempt on the latest code and try usb.

I've had a closer look at USB and can see similar, though probably much less
severe, problems. :-(

>As for navigation in Brailleback, that seemed to work pretty well. The only
>thing I had to take into account was the scrolling of the screen but I rather
>expected that. I was actually able to read pretty well with it when I took the
>scrolling into account, because not all of the content is visible at once.

It looks like what they did for BrailleBack is to emulate a HIMS device. For
example, as we already know, it's Bluetooth name is SmartBeetle (a HIMS model).
This'd cause BrailleBack to use its HIMS driver. What I think the BrailleMe is
probably doing is converting its own key combinations into HIMS key
combinations. In other words, what might actually work is for you to use
brltty's HIMS (hm) driver when using Bluetooth.

And I'm now guessing that, when using USB for NVDA, they're probably doing
something similar, i.e. converting BrailleMe key combinations into whatever
NVDA might be looking for. If this is true then, since we have no idea what
makes NVDA happy, you may be better off using Bluetooth with brltty's hm
driver.

Of course, this is only just for now. We'll try to fix this all up as best we
can. If the manufacturer won't accept my suggestion then what we may end up
doing is having brltty's driver unconvert the converted key combinations back
to BrailleMe key combinations.

>Do I want the master branch or is there a later one I should try?

Unless I say otherwise, when I say the latest development code I mean the
master branch.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |