[BRLTTY] BrlAPI on Android

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Jun 9 07:04:22 EDT 2020

[quoted lines by Felix G. on 2020/06/09 at 12:14 +0200]

>I'm essentially trying to teach myself how to write self-brailling
>Android apps. Now on Linux or Windows I would write my application in
>Python or C++ and use BrlAPI to talk to the Braille display through
>BRLTTY. Is there anything like it for Android,

Yes, BrlAPI works on Android. It listens on the main BrlAPI port via a
localhost TCP/IP socket. In other words, you need to tell BrlAPI to connect to
localhost:0 (or 127.0.0.1:0).

Brltty provides Java bindings, which are what you want to use on Android. They
aren't yet distributed. If you have any trouble building them then I can try
providing a jar.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |