[BRLTTY] Generate visual Braille

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 12 17:05:32 EST 2020

[quoted lines by Raphaël POITEVIN on 2020/11/12 at 22:34 +0100]

>That question is not directly in relation with BRLTTY but… anyway,
>that's about Braille.

Don't worry about that! :-)

>How is it possible to generate a file with visual Braille? which could
>be exploited to be printed by swell paper or 3D printer.
>
>I mean: I type plain text and I wish to convert it in a vectorial PDF
>for example, with the right Braille table (6 dots), for instance
>french. Would be possible to set a specific font size?

It depends on the printer. If it supports the 256 Unicode braille patterns then
that'd be the best way to go. If it doesn't then you need to use some standard,
e.g. BRF, which uses ASCII characters to represent braille patterns. If you
want a sighted person to be able to look at his/her screen and see braille then
the first approach - using Unicode braille patterns - is what you need to do.

Brltty comes with a command called brltty-ctb that can do what you're looking
for. You pass text to its standard input, and it writes braille to its standard
output. You use its -c option to tell it which contraction table, e.g. -cfr, to
use. By default, it writes Unicode braille patterns. If, however, you want to
use some other standard then you can use its -t option, e.g. -tbrf, to specify
which character to braille mapping you want to use. It has other options, the
most important of which is -h (help). Also, of course, you can always ask more
quetions here.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |