[BRLTTY] 6.2 soon.

Mario Lang mlang at blind.guru
Fri Nov 20 21:58:41 EST 2020

Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> writes:

> Lars Bjørndal, le ven. 20 nov. 2020 20:36:21 +0100, a ecrit:
>> > For debian users, I have uploaded a snapshot of 6.2 in the experimental
>> > distribution (versioned 6.2~pre+dfsg-1) so you can try it easily.
>>
>> Do you happen to also be responsible for the raspbian version of BRLTTY,
>
> No
>
>> do you have a corresponding package for that distro?
>
> I don't know if raspbian picks up packages from debian experimental too.

Likely no.

> I guess you could try to install the proper-armsomething package from debian.

My raspian-fu is a bit rusty, but I'd try building the debian package
from source.  AIUI, most packages are taken unchanged from Debian.  So
if you build the Debian package from source on your pi, you
should get the same binary package you would if raspian already had what
you want to test.

More specifically, you'd fetch the .dsc, .diff.gz and .tar.xz files
from Debian with something like debget (or manually), run `dpkg-source -x`
on the dsc, change into the directory, and build with something like
`dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us`.  You will likely need to install the
build-dependencies.  Most of which you will get with `apt-get build-dep brltty`.

This is quite a mouthful, but as a result you should get a package which
is easy to uninstall/upgrade without leaving stuff behind.  And of
course you are going to test if the packaging is compatible with
raspian.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕