[BRLTTY] No speech using eSpeak

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Sat Nov 21 13:48:24 EST 2020

Hi

Dave Mielke schrieb am 21.11.2020,  7:11 -0500:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2020/11/21 at 09:18 +0100]
>
>>Following the call for testing the latest master before the 6.2 release, I
>>built BRLTTY for my machine and also tried the package uploaded by Samuel.
>>In both versions, the speech driver cannot emit sound, the logs are attached:
>>brl.log contains the log using `brltty -s es -k laptop -l speech `, the other
>>contains the output as found in syslog when invoking BRLTTY as a system
>>service (brl-systemd.log).
>>The systemd output shows ALSA error messages and German messages such as:
>>"Das Gerät oder die Resource ist belegt" translating to "Device or resource busy".
>
>On the surfce, it looks like ALSA misconfiguration. I rather doubt that brltty
>can do much about it. Have you tried eSpeak-NG (-s en)?

Sure, I did. Same result.

>>A previous built of 6.1 and the packaged 5.6 release on Debian work fine.
>
>On the very same host system? If so, can you try to determine which commit
>broke it?

Yes, on the same system.
A dozen compilations later, I found the commit that breaks sound support for
me: e4db8ea67b0af442367625ee23, ~1 of that commit still works, I'm using this
to compose this e-mail.
Is there anything else I could provide?

>I just tried -s es here, and it's working so I'm not able to reproduce it. Are
>you using ALSA itself or are you using Pulse Audio?

Not completely related, but what would be a recommended way to have BRLTTY
running with pulse? I know that it is possible to run Pulse as root, but my
last attempt to get it working a few weeks ago were not successful. BRLTTY can
also run as an ordinary user these days and I read that it is possible to
share a pulse session between users. Has somebody on this list done this? If
not, any other solutions?

Thanks!
Sebastian