[BRLTTY] No speech using eSpeak/etc/pulse/system.pa

Sebastian Humenda shumenda at gmx.de
Sat Nov 21 14:59:58 EST 2020

Hi Dave

Dave Mielke schrieb am 21.11.2020, 14:21 -0500:
>[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2020/11/21 at 19:48 +0100]
>
>>A dozen compilations later, I found the commit that breaks sound support for
>>me: e4db8ea67b0af442367625ee23, ~1 of that commit still works, I'm using this
>>to compose this e-mail.
>
>So, the commit listed above is the first one that doesn't work?

Yes, I meant with ~1 the git syntax that retrieves the previous commit and
that that one is the last to still work.

>It isolates a few namespaces.
[…]
>I suppose we could experiment with nt isolating
>them, one at a time, to see which one might be doing it.

It's CLONE_NEWIPC. See the attached patch.

>>what would be a recommended way to have BRLTTY running with pulse? I know that
>>it is possible to run Pulse as root, but my last attempt to get it working a
>>few weeks ago were not successful.
>
>I run with Pulse Audio, and have for many years. I've attached my system.pa and
>pulseaudio.service files to this message.

Thanks for that. I might look into this, though I would in principle prefer a
user pulse that is shared between my user and the BRLTTY user. However, I
suppose I won't have enough verve to try it :).

Thanks
Sebastian