[BRLTTY] Custom key bindings

Vincent Le Goff vincent.legoff.srs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 08:35:38 EST 2020

Hi, and sincere apologies,

I know this has been answered many, many times on this list and David is
probably not happy about yet a new message on this topic, but I can't
seem to find the proper process.

I've finally acquired a small computer running Linux, have installed
BRLTTY (5.6) and now am trying to connect my ActiveBraille (HandyTech).
All is working as expected... except that I don't really like the
default key bindings of the Handytech driver.  No worry!  I had saved
the 'rockers.kti' file to my Dropbox, because I felt I would need it.
So thoughtful!  This was a modified version of the file found in
'Tables/Input/ht/rockers.kti' on the BRLTTY main branch.

Hu, where to place this modified file?  So I looked up readme.customize
and found that I needed to place the file in /etc/xdg/brltty.  Just like
that?  So I wrote the file in /etc/xdg/brltty/rockers.kti, rebooted my
little computer and... well, my old key binding file didn't work.
Pressing on most keys on the Braille display didn't have any impact.
What was wrong?

I decided to just place the current version of rockers.kti in
/etc/xdg/brltty/rockers.kti and then update it a little at a time.  So I
placed the default file with default configuration, rebotted and... and
it was pretty much the same thing.  The only way to go back to the
default setting was to remove the file /etc/xdg/brltty/rockers.kti
altogether.

I thought I remembered I had to create some sub-directories last time,
so I tried to replicate the path BRLTTY was looking for, writing a
/etc/xdg/brltty/Input/ht/rockers.kti file (I skipped the 'Tables'
directory, I thought it wasn't important).  The file now is ignored, as
is probably not surprising.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance,
Vincent