[BRLTTY] Custom key bindings

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Nov 25 10:42:38 EST 2020

[quoted lines by Vincent Le Goff on 2020/11/25 at 14:35 +0100]

>I know this has been answered many, many times on this list and David is
>probably not happy about yet a new message on this topic,

Oh, I'm very unhappy for sure! :-)

>but I can't seem to find the proper process.

That isn't a crime. :-)

>I've finally acquired a small computer running Linux, have installed BRLTTY
>(5.6)

Why such an old release? I doubt that's the cause of your problem, but I'm
still curious as to why one wouldn't install the latest.

>This was a modified version of the file found in 'Tables/Input/ht/rockers.kti'
>on the BRLTTY main branch.

That's risky. You should always use files from the same release that you're
running. Again, in this case, I don't think it'd be much of a problem.

>Hu, where to place this modified file?  So I looked up readme.customize and
>found that I needed to place the file in /etc/xdg/brltty.

Yes, that's the right place to put it.

>So I wrote the file in /etc/xdg/brltty/rockers.kti, rebooted my little
>computer and... well, my old key binding file didn't work.  Pressing on most
>keys on the Braille display didn't have any impact.  What was wrong?

In a case like this, the log is usually your friend. Use brltty's -L
(uppercase) option to write its log to a known file, and then post it so that
we can have a llok. For example:

   brltty -L/tmp/brltty.log

Adding -ldeubg (this l is lowercase) would also be helpful.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |