[BRLTTY] Low-level BrlAPI questions

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Wed Apr 14 14:27:00 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2021/04/14 at 15:29 +0200]

>I missed that we already had the text length in textSize, which precisely avoids the concerns with using strlen(). That's what I meant we could use.

I might as well throw in my opinion: To me, it's the region size that should define the cell count, and it's the exact cell count that matters. Text and masks can be padded/truncated as necessary to fit the cell count. And, to me, a region size of 0 could mean from begin to the end.

Using the text size to define the cell count is imprecise. What a user typically wants to do is to write some text without worrying about anything other than having it written. He/she expects the interface to worry about things like truncating, padding, wrapping, etc. It's kind of like expecting an HTML writer to need to know the precise rendering width. As I see it, there really should be no need at all for a simple client writer to ever need to ask the size of the display. The Tcl and Java bindings (which I maintain) hide all of this from the user.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |