[BRLTTY] Low-level BrlAPI questions

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Thu Apr 15 06:40:03 EDT 2021

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2021/04/15 at 12:24 +0200]

>> But this function cannot be called safely from languages that are Unicode
>> only.
>
>As mentioned previously, we can add a brlapi_writeUtf8Text, just like we
>already have brlapi_writeWText

If my understanding is correct, an unassigned text size means to call strlen(). To me, this is a bug. I think we shouldn't be in the business of ever assuming a single-byte character set these days. Of course there's old code, but it isn't a good thing to be allowing anymore. My personal opinion is that writeText() should be assuming UTF-8.

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |