[BRLTTY] Low-level BrlAPI questions

Aura Kelloniemi kaura.dev at sange.fi
Tue Apr 20 09:24:56 EDT 2021

On 2021-04-20 at 14:39 +0200, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
 > Aura Kelloniemi, le mar. 20 avril 2021 15:26:53 +0300, a ecrit:
 > They are completed with 0xff for and and 0x00 for or.

This probably means, than when text ends, the rest of the display is padded
with spaces, and if space is defined to be something else than an empty cell,
this pattern will fill the end of the display. At some point there was a
braille table included with BRLTTY than defined space to be dot 8, but now
this table seems to be gone.

 > > I wonder whether it would be semantically clearer to blank only up to
 > > (regionSize * -1) if regionSize < 0, because we already decided that it is
 > > most likely a programming bug,

 > ? I thought we decided it would be considered a bug only if the
 > programmer provided a positive value, and when it is a negative value,
 > it means the programmer doesn't really care, and we just complete.

Ok, this does not really matter to me, as my problem was related to
full-display rewrites anyway.

 > > If an application uses regional writes, and another application "steals" the
 > > TTY from the original client, and later restores it, will the display contents
 > > be restored to original text the first client was showing?

 > Yes. Each client has its own buffer.

Great.

 > If they were not, it would be a terrible mess, clients would have to
 > rewrite each time one switches focus, etc.

Can an application force a complete refresh? I sometimes feel a need for this
after a bluetooth conection issue.

--
Aura