[BRLTTY] Nos braille ouput through Orca since 6.2

Didier Spaier didier at slint.fr
Tue Feb 16 14:11:03 EST 2021

Hi there,

Slint maintainer here: https://slint.fr

I had to revert upgrades of the brltty package for Slint because users
complained about the lack of Braille output in Mate through Orca in versions
6.2 and 6.3.

I suspect that this is related to the changes of privileges handling.

I don't have modified yet our startup script rc.brltty (attached), the
same in
6.1 (works as expected), 6.2 and 6.3, and not made yet any of the settings
listed in  https://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/Linux.html.  grub.conf is shipped
unmodified.

If possible I'd rather take the time to weigh the benefit/risks at the
before doing change of the default configuration at the distribution level

So my question for is: how can I upgrade the package to provide the same
features as 6.1 for now, leaving the new features like running brltty as a
regular user for a future upgrade? I have in mind asking this that providing
new features could need to not only modify the package but also our
installer.

Some contextual background: in Slint as in Slackware of which it is a
derivative, at boot up (after an initrd has switched root to the
drive's root partition in Slint's case), /sbin/init starts the script
/etc/rc.d/rc.S (also attached) which first sets the PATH, mounts /sys
and /proc,
loads the loop device kernel module, initializes udev, then starts
/etc/rc.d/rc.brltty so that braille be available as soon as possible,
also for
serial line and Bluetooth connected devices.

Braille users are members of the braille group and we generate /etc/brlapi
using brltty-genkey.

A user has observed following differences 6.1 and further versions:
1) If just after having logged in as root in a console he types:
/etc/rc.d/rc.brltty stop, the daemon is killed as expected in
6.1, but in 6.3 a signal 15 is not enough: a signal 9 is needed.
I confirm this.
2) After boot up he doesn't have a braille output in Mate with 6.3, but
if he
kills brltty with a signal 9 then start it again (/etc/rc.d/rc.brltty start)
then  he gets the Braille output in Mate. I couldn't check that, as I
seem to
not to remember correctly  the right options to set to redirect the Braille
output in a console of graphical terminal (I am sighted and never used a
Braille
display). Could someone kindly remind me that, please?

Thanks for any clue allowing me to upgrade brltty for Slint.

Best regards,
Didier

PS for 高生旺: I CC you as you are registered on this list and also a Slint
user:
do you still use 6.1 or were you able to solve this issue on your own,
and if
yes how?