[BRLTTY] Nos braille ouput through Orca since 6.2

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Tue Feb 16 15:06:50 EST 2021

[quoted lines by Didier Spaier on 2021/02/16 at 20:11 +0100]

>I had to revert upgrades of the brltty package for Slint because users
>complained about the lack of Braille output in Mate through Orca in versions
>6.2 and 6.3.

Do you mean that brltty is running but there's no braille on the display, or do
you mean that brltty isn't running?

>I suspect that this is related to the changes of privileges handling.

That could possibly be true for 6.2 but not for 6.3.

>I don't have modified yet our startup script rc.brltty (attached), the same
>in
>6.1 (works as expected), 6.2 and 6.3, and not made yet any of the settings
>listed in  https://mielke.cc/brltty/doc/Linux.html.  grub.conf is shipped
>unmodified.

I don't think it has anything to do with privileges. How is brltty running
within a text console?

>If possible I'd rather take the time to weigh the benefit/risks at the
>before doing change of the default configuration at the distribution level

Brltty, as always, runs just fine with full privileges. It's just that some
people feel very strongly that things should always be running with as little
privilege as is absolutely needed.

>So my question for is: how can I upgrade the package to provide the same
>features as 6.1 for now, leaving the new features like running brltty as a
>regular user for a future upgrade? I have in mind asking this that providing
>new features could need to not only modify the package but also our
>installer.

6.3 should do exactly that.

>2) After boot up he doesn't have a braille output in Mate with 6.3, but if he
>kills brltty with a signal 9 then start it again (/etc/rc.d/rc.brltty start)
>then  he gets the Braille output in Mate. I couldn't check that, as I seem to
>not to remember correctly  the right options to set to redirect the Braille
>output in a console of graphical terminal (I am sighted and never used a
>Braille
>display). Could someone kindly remind me that, please?

The best way to capture a log is to use -l (lowercase) to say what you want to
log and to use -L (uppercase) to specify the log file. You could start,
therefore, by adding these two options in brltty_start():

   -ldebug -L/path/to/brltty.log

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |