[BRLTTY] how to start and stop brltty

Dave Mielke Dave at mielke.cc
Sun Feb 21 22:35:18 EST 2021

[quoted lines by John Covici on 2021/02/21 at 15:58 -0500]

>Also, looking at the only service unit, it says RefuseManualStart=true
>so I seem to have no way to just say systemctl start brltty

Okay, I understand your question, now. If you really want to just start brltty
then start the brltty.path unit.

Just starting brltty, these days, isn't necessarily the right thing to do. This
is because udev also starts brltty. If you don't have brltty's udev rules then
just starting brltty is okay. If, however, you do have them then you should
configure the general brltty to not look for USB devices. An easy way to do
this would be to have this line in brltty.conf:

   braille-device bluetooth:

By the way: It's often handy to check the description within a systemd unit
file. The brltty.path unit contains this line:

   Description=Default BRLTTY Instance

Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |