[BRLTTY] how to start and stop brltty

John Covici covici at ccs.covici.com
Tue Feb 23 01:37:23 EST 2021

brltty-device at .service is there and the pkg file for systemd
(actually libsystemd.pc) reads
root at ccs:/usr/src # cat /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/libsystemd.pc
#  SPDX-License-Identifier: LGPL-2.1-or-later
#
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
#  published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=/usr
libdir=/usr/lib64
includedir=/usr/include

Name: systemd
Version: 247
Libs: -L${libdir} -lsystemd
Cflags: -I${includedir}
So, I guess some things are not what brltty is expecting.  I wonder if
there is anything else,  but in /lib/systemd/system I do have
root at ccs:/usr/src # ls /lib/systemd/system/*brltty*
'/lib/systemd/system/brltty-device at .service'
/lib/systemd/system/brltty.path
'/lib/systemd/system/brltty at .path'
'/lib/systemd/system/brltty at .service'

and in /lib/udev/rules.d I have
/lib/udev/rules.d/90-brltty-device.rules
/lib/udev/rules.d/90-brltty-uinput.rules

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 19:37:30 -0500,
Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by John Covici on 2021/02/22 at 17:12 -0500]
>
> >hmmm, unfortunately, the make install-systemd only installed
> >in /lib/systemd/system the following
> >brltty.path
> >'brltty at .path'
> >'brltty at .service'
>
> So brltty-device at .service is missing.
>
> >and in /usr/lib it installed tmpfiles.d/brltty.conf, so its missing the
> >sysusers.d/brltty.conf .  This is definitely the 6.3 makefiles, so no clue.
>
> Well ... it actually can't be (on both counts).
>
> >I looked at the Make file in question and it does seem to install that
> >file, but it depends on environment variables and I don't know the
> >value of those,
>
> Which environment variables? What it does depend on is variables provided by
> pkg-config. Perhaps this is another case of gentoo having bad data in its .pc
> files - in this case, systemd's. The relevant systemd.pc variables are
> sysusersdir and tmpfilesdir.
>
> --
> I believe the Bible to be the very Word of God: http://Mielke.cc/bible/
> Dave Mielke            | 2213 Fox Crescent | WebHome: http://Mielke.cc/
> EMail: Dave at Mielke.cc  | Ottawa, Ontario   | Twitter: @Dave_Mielke
> Phone: +1 613 726 0014 | Canada  K2A 1H7   |

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         covici at ccs.covici.com